Howland Township Public Works Department maintains storm drainage systems along the township roads. Any problems observed, flooded streets, catch basins, roadside ditches etc. should be reported to the Public Works department either by submitting a service request or by calling the department at 330-856-4037.


(National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System)

The Federal EPA and the State Ohio EPA agencies have issued mandates to all municipalities throughout the country to comply with discharge of storm water within its jurisdiction. Guidelines established by these agencies require numerous measures to be taken by Howland Township. Six of these are:

  1. Public Education and Outreach Program
  2. Public Involvement and Participation
  3. Elimination of Illicit Discharges
  4. Construction Site Storm Water Runoff Ordinance
  5. Post-Construction Storm Water Management Ordinance
  6. Pollution Prevention and Good Housekeeping
Residents and the public should be advised that only storm rain water is permitted to enter the "waters of the state", i.e., creeks and rivers.

Typical Drainage Questions

1.  Why doesn't the county and/or township maintain these water drainage systems?


The county and township road departments use money from road taxes to maintain roads in their jurisdiction. These funds can only be used for water drainage systems when they lie within the road right-of-way.

2.  What are drainage easements?

A drainage easement is an area of a property that is reserved, first and foremost, for maintenance activities. An agricultural drainage easement can be an area around the following: tile, grass waterway, open ditch, or other outlet structure. The size of the drainage easement depends on the type of drainage structure.

3. Can anything be planted or built within the easement area?

It's always alright to plant grass in an easement area. No man-made objects such as buildings, landscaping should ever be placed in an easement area. Planting trees should also be avoided. If such objects are placed in an easement area, they can be removed at the landowner's cost and not be replaced. If maintenance activities require the disturbance of a grassed area, it will be seeded or sodded following completion of the maintenance activities.

Sanitary Sewers

Howland Township does not have legal responsibilities to maintain or service the sanitary sewer systems with the township or any of private laterals which connect to houses or buildings. Problems associated with these facilities should be reported to the respective entity. The following departments have sanitary systems in the township:

  • Trumbull County Sanitary and Water                330-675-2775

  • Warren Water Pollution                                   330-841-2591